Sunday, July 17, 2011

Six Degrees of Anita Bacon, I mean Anita Brookner

In the lead up to IABD I was making all kinds of tenuous connections between my posts and Anita Brookner. After reading Peta's much deeper analysis of connections between Brideshead Revisited and Anita Brookner, I  began thinking about the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game.

Are you familiar with the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game? To play, all you have to do is link any celebrity to Kevin Bacon within six degrees. I read an article years ago in The New Yorker that posited that this game works with Kevin Bacon because he has been in such a variety of projects and had not been typecast. The article stated that someone who made many more films and was far more famous, like John Wayne, won't necessarily fare as well in the Six Degrees game because their were work was more specialized.

So I thought how many degrees of separation between Kevin Bacon and Anita Brookner. Using Diana Quick from the Brideshead post as a possible starting point, it was far easier than I thought it would  be to connect these two dots. I bet there are other connections as well. Perhaps this will be a regular feature.

Kevin Bacon


Was in Where the Truth Lies with Colin Firth


Who was in (the sappy) Love Actually with Bill Nighy


Who was in a 27-year relationship with Diana Quick


Who voiced an audiobook of Anita Brookner's Undue Influence


 That's only 5 degrees of separation. Can you do better?


No comments:

Post a Comment